Thursday, January 24, 2013

Guardians of Hope



Photo: Such a joy today to see the transforming power of God's love and grace in the lives of three AIDS orphans being cared for by Mary, a Guardian of Hope in Kenya

Mary is a Guardian of Hope caring for three orphans 
in the hillside community of Longonot, Kenya

The stigma of HIV and AIDS still has a strong hold upon the lives of communities throughout Africa, but by God’s grace the story is changing. When AIDS took the lives of two young parents, Peter and Grace, in the community of Kirinyaga, fear of AIDS led to the abandonment of their three children, Ilene, Titus and Eric. “Fear was so great that even their grandparents and family members denied their responsibility to these three orphaned children,” shared Rev. Peter, the local pastor of the ACC&S church. Of course many people prayed for the situation, but when Mary David heard of the children’s plight, she could not turn away.

“I travelled to Kirinyaga and brought the children home with me,” shared Mary David, a member of the Munu ACC&S church. “I hadn’t even told my husband, who was away from home serving a church. But when I was travelling home and realized I had not spoken to him, I called him to tell what I had done.” She begins to laugh, “He came home. He was so surprised, and he came home right away.” The news was a great shock to Mary’s husband and family. Already a grandmother who had raised ten children of her own, Mary was not looking for  more children. “At first I thought it was too much. I had already raised my family -- now I was starting again. But later I felt that they are my own children.” Mary’s love for Ilene, Titus, and Eric is evident in the affection she shows them cuddling in her small country home and laughing in the garden. “I love my children,” shared Mary. “My desire is to see them healthy and one day when I am gone for them to support themselves. God is my reward. I pray that they will be well before I go to be with the Lord.”


Mary’s faith has had a deep impact on the children. “When my parents died I was so sad,” shared Titus. “But my new family believed more in God. I have grown in my faith. My prayer for my life is that I can grow closer to God... I am a good student, I get all Bs. Someday I would like to become an engineer or a business man,.. or maybe a lawyer.” Walking around the small farm, Titus and his younger brother Eric share with us how the Guardians of Hope have helped their family through paying school fees, training on better farming practices, and providing goats. But perhaps the greatest help has been the support and acceptance of an inclusive community of faith.



Photo: Visiting Guardians of Hope today with Erica and Melanie Waddell

Erica and Melanie Waddell visiting Guardians of Hope 
in the Rift Valley of Kenya


No comments:

Post a Comment