Friday, February 22, 2013

As Sneetches We Stand


As Sneetches We Stand
The Rosslyn Academy Middle School Play
February 21-23, 2013

This year’s Rosslyn Middle School play was written by a group of students with their drama teacher Mark Statler. This was Tristan’s second experience with being part of a playwright committee. They worked together reviewing the works of Dr. Seuss and decided to create a back story for his book the Sneetches. With the script completed last fall, Mr. Statler held auditions for parts and began rehearsals in the later half of the second school quarter. Last night was their premier performance!




Tristan as Sylvester McMonkey McBean:
the lost McBean brought in by the Sneetches, 
but through a journey of great hardship
he discovers how to bring healing to
their community, in an interesting twist to
the classic Dr. Seuss story.

“My friends”, he announced in a voice clear and clean,
“My name is Sylvester McMonkey McBean.
And I’ve heard of Your troubles. 
I’ve heard you’re unhappy.
But I can fix that, I’m the Fix-It-Up Chappie. 
I’ve come here to help you.
I have what you need.
And my prices are low. And I work with great speed.
And my work is one hundred per cent guaranteed!”



Sylvester being sent on a mission 
by the elders of the plain-belly Sneetches


Emma as Mrs. Eetch Sneetch 
on the star-belly beach
eating forbidden fruits


News of the mayhem among the Sneetches 
reaches homes far beyond the beaches 


Sylvester seeks a way to fill his belly
and fix the troubles among his adopted Sneetch family


Sylvester finds some help in unlikely places



Emma and her other Sneetch friends


“...That the Sneetches got really quite smart on that day.
The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches.

And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches.
That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether
They had one, or not, upon thars.”






1 comment: