Friday, June 27, 2014

CBM Africa Team: Laura Muema


Laura Muema serving with CBM in Nairobi, Kenya

The Canadian Baptist Ministries Africa team is formed by Canadian and national staff serving alongside our local church partners in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda, South Sudan, and Kenya. Each month on our blog, we are featuring one of our colleagues and the ministries that they are a vital part of. You can learn more about the work of CBM in Africa and around the world at www.cbmin.org

In the urban ghettos of Eastern Nairobi, CBM has been serving among displaced Muslim communities for about 16 years. Since 2008, adult literacy and self help group initiatives have been our primary interventions with these communities. We are deeply thankful for the great team who serve vulnerable families in these often volatile areas of Nairobi.

Our key leader in this ministry is Laura Muema who has served as CBMs project officer for urban Muslim ministry for nearly four years. Laura was recently awarded the Grace Berry Memorial scholarship in honour of the late Mrs. Grace Berry who served with her husband Rev. Bob Berry with CBM. Laura is presently working on her Masters degree in Nairobi while giving leadership to community outreach projects in the Eastleigh, Karibangi, Pangani, KyaMichael and Haruma estate of Nairobi. 

For anyone who has volunteered with us in Nairobi, they have no doubt been impacted by Lauras gentle spirit and infectious laughter.

“My first encounter/experience with CBM started in March, 2010 through the CBM project with the Presbyterian Church of East Africa’s Eastleigh Community Centre. I worked with the Somali community and got to understand their cultural and religious beliefs and values. Though there were and still are challenges with serving this community, God has given me His gifts of compassion and encouragement, giving me hope that I could share His love through word and deed. I have witnessed gradual changes in the Somali community socially, economically and spiritually. 

During my ministry with CBM, I have enjoyed interacting with women and men of Islamic faith, in building bridges of understanding, trust and friendship with them and in working toward positively changing their attitude on education, health and improving their livelihoods.

My faith has enabled me to continue in this ministry. Joshua 1:9 encourages me to be strong, courageous and not to fear as God guides me and will be with me wherever I go; Proverbs 16:3 reminds me to commit to the Lord whatever I do, and my plans will succeed; and James 2:14-26 tells me clearly that faith without deeds is dead! These scriptures have shaped my understanding of ministry.

I have found joy in being appreciated and accepted by the communities that I serve and have seen changes in attitude and aspects (social, economic, spiritual) of their lives. I have seen women and men build friendship and social networks in supporting each other in savings, doing business, discussing issues and ideas that can bring changes in their communities. I have also seen men and women learn English as a second language from level one onwards. This has led to improvement in communication between them and other community members, their employers and customers (for those who have businesses). They are also able to enjoy helping their children with homework.

Working and ministering in Nairobi is not without its challenges. We face insecurity in Eastleigh and generally throughout Nairobi where there have been many terror attacks over the past few years. Connected with this is the challenge of the instability of life for the community members with whom we serve, especially our Eastleigh Self Help group members who struggle with their immigration status in Kenya. This has caused Self Help Group members to drop out, as many are subject to deportation and relocation back to the refugee camps. 

Another challenge is limited space to engage in larger activities like agriculture. This is because most of the targeted communities live in slum areas where the houses are so small and so close to each other and without compounds or space to grow their own food. Poor sanitation and lack of water has also been a hindrance to communities taking up activities that could help them practice modern farming and healthy living.

I experience God at work and in the ministry through the changes that I see in the community I serve; In the courage that God has provided me to approach Islamic communities; and the compassion and heart to serve. I also experience God’s peace and protection even when I fear to go in to Eastleigh and move about in Nairobi. I experience God’s love when I get support from my team mates and leaders and especially when I am presented constantly with the opportunity to share this great love with vulnerable men, women and children of different religion and culture.

The Canadian Baptist churches can be praying for me For God’s love to always be shared to His people through me, for protection upon my life, family, loved ones, work-mates/colleagues, leaders and entire Kenyan nation. I would also like to request for prayers for the Church of Christ here in Kenya, that there may be Unity, Peace and Faithfulness.”


No comments:

Post a Comment