Monday, September 15, 2014

CBM Africa Team: Andrew and Alamu


Andrew Rob and Alamu Liban
serving in the CBM Adult Literacy Project, Nairobi

A major part of Canadian Baptist Ministries’ work in Kenya is our outreach ministries in the Muslim majority areas of both Nairobi and the North Eastern Province. In the urban centre of Nairobi, our project officer Laura Muema coordinates various community development ministries with church and community partners in the Eastlands estates of Eastleigh, Haruma, Pangani and Kariobangi. 

We are thankful for the many team members that are a part of this important ministry in helping to strengthen local churches in their ministry with their Muslim neighbours.

Today we are excited to share with you a brief interview that Laura recently had with two of our adult literacy teachers working with CBM’s partners in the urban slum area of Kariobangi. Both Andrew and Alamu are genuine guys who are examples of what it means to live out the Christian faith in word and in deed.


      Laura: Thank you for taking the time be interviewed today. I know how busy it is between classes. Can you tell us what you feel are the best parts of your Ministry with the literacy classes?

Andrew: Serving the community through a Christian organization has been the best part of my ministry with the literacy class. I can relate to my walk with Christ and serve the community with the aim of sharing God’s love and developing them in literacy which I know will eventually change their lives in other ways. Also, seeing the commitment of the students from the church and community encourages me and makes me enjoy teaching.

Laura:  Alamu, I know that you have told me how being raised by a single mother has helped you to respect women. What has it been like teaching the all women’s classes?

Alamu:  As much as I teach them English, I also learn from them. They are experienced in many aspects of life and I enjoy learning from, working with and serving the women who attend my classes. I love teaching. The women’s passion and commitment to learning moves me and encourages me to work every day. 

I really find it fun teaching the women new words and phrases. It is especially fun when the words are almost the same as in their language as the students find it funny and interesting.

      Laura:  How have you seen the transformation in the people attending your literacy classes?

      Andrew: I have seen quite a transformation in my students: They have gained confidence to participate in class as opposed to when they first started. They can now read and write simple words and sentences and even draw. Some of the students have bought and can read their Bibles. Those with businesses can comfortably understand and communicate with their customers.

Alamu: I have seen many changes in the lives of my students. They have transformed academically, most of the students are learning fast and well. They can now read and write and are even using their knowledge of English in their businesses and places of work, and also in relating with other people in the community. 

Socially, the students are bonding with their children at home, taking part in their homework and having fun using English words and phrases with their families. They are also friendlier in class and interacting with each other which was not the case in the beginning. 

Economically, the women can now understand how to bank their money from their businesses and group activities and also how to sign on important documents concerning their finances. 

Spiritually, they are able to communicate in church and even read and understand the bible.

Laura: What are the greatest challenges facing the people you are serving?

Andrew: Some of the challenges facing my students are: Poverty. Some students lack concentration in class, as they have many worries about their lack of school fees for their children and even at times rent.

Another issues is insecurity. The level of crime in Kariobangi is high. At times we have to end classes earlier for those that live further from school as it is not safe to walk at night. Also, some students are business people and fear theft of their products/goods/livestock. 

Religious differences is another issue. I mean the differences between the Islamic and Christian communities and also between Christians of different churches and denominations. However, the classes and Self Help Groups have brought the people together and slowing fading the differences away.

Alamu: Most of the challenges faced by the women in my class are: Some women find it hard and challenging to attend class since they have no one to leave their children with at home. So, at times are not consistent with class. Those that work are willing, but find it difficult to attend classes as well. 

There are some slow in class. Others join and find fellow students ahead in the curriculum and find it difficult to catch up. There is need for makeup/special classes. Expectant mothers also find it hard to be consistent with classes and thus fall behind in class. The women are sometimes withdrawn and do not open up. At times their children get sick, other times there is no one to watch their children at home and are these cause them to be absent from class. 

Other women will bring their small children with them, but I am very concerned about the filthy environment. There are open sewage trenches all around us and some mothers who bring their children to school will leave them outside to play in the sewage and unclean surrounding.


      Laura: How can Canadian churches specifically pray for you?

Andrew: I am requesting prayers for peace in Kenya; for love and unity to prevail, for the growth and interaction of the churches of Christ in Kariobangi, for eradication of poverty in the community.

Alamu: On a personal level, also pray for me to excel in my studies and for God to strengthen and encourage me in my work and walk with Him. I am requesting the Canadian churches to pray for me for patience to handle all the issues in the class and outside class, for my family’s well being and safety, my success as I am the sole bread winner of my family (mother, myself and sister) and mostly for God to bless CBM in abundance for their continuous support in the literacy project in Kariobangi.




No comments:

Post a Comment