Thursday, December 15, 2016

Transforming Mission: Sharing

Canadian Baptist Ministries' Self Help Group Program
Eastleigh, Nairobi

We gathered in Eastleigh today with over one-hundred and thirty men and women representing eighteen self-help groups in the Eastern section of Nairobi. Erica and her team discussed successes and challenges of the year with the groups, as well as answering questions.

Self help groups are a participatory approach to sustainable community development. Over the past nine years, Canadian Baptists Ministries has been using this approach throughout urban work in Africa.

Self Help Groups (SHGs) are formed through mobilizing groups of ten to twelve community members, most often groups of women. They meet each week building trust, sharing their concerns, their hopes, and praying for each other. In addition, they develop weekly savings together. Often women, who have been voiceless and powerless, soon realize that they are no longer alone. The groups come to appreciate the strength of walking together for economic, social and spiritual change. They start sharing their problems in the group, social issues are discussed and solutions are sought together.

We often write about the importance building bonds of trust and mutual concern within self help groups. Over the years, we continue to see how the group members need to experience love and concern. Healthy SHGs often become second families for the members. 

"The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove 
than the hunger for bread." Mother Teresa

It was wonderful to hear stories of success as members of the SHG program shared their experiences from 2016. Many of the groups have started small businesses in the communities of Eastleigh and Kariobangi. These enterprises are increasing the household income of families who are making education for both their girl and boy children a priority.

Self Help Group Members

Sisters in Solidarity

Over the past year, Kenya's new policy of Somali refugee repatriation has caused great stress in communities like Eastleigh (Click here to read more). Fear and uncertainty has led many women to flee Eastleigh as their families worry about forced deportation. 

Insecurity, increased cost of living, and harassment are common challenges faced by the SHG members. Please remember these groups in your prayers. Each man and woman in the groups shares these concerns for their family and community.

Having a trusted group of friends that you can share your burdens and struggles is one of the most important aspects of the SHG approach. Together the groups are seeing change in the lives of their members. 
Community facilitator, Aisha, speaking with SHG members
"Before being involved in the project", shared a group member named Ubah, “It was hard for me to pay school fees for all the children but now I thank God for sending people like you to help me with my child’s education... before, my children used to drink dirty water and get stomach aches all the time but now we drink clean water from the water filters given to us by CBM.”

“In my group, I have found a second family,” shared Ailo. “I am no longer alone.  I have friends that I  can count on for support and even prayers in good and tough times… through my group I am saving money and using loans wisely in my small business. My group helps me to stay encouraged. I have a place to share my problems and concerns and also have people I trusts to save money with together. My hope for the future is to own a house for my family and educate my children to university.”
"Overcoming poverty is not a gesture of charity. It is the protection of a fundamental human right, the right to dignity and a decent life." 
  — Nelson Mandela

As 2016 comes to an end, we are thankful for the gift of journeying with these amazing groups.

"By love serve one another." Galatians 5:13

Thank you for your continued support and prayers for our family and ministry in Kenya. You can learn more about the work of Canadian Baptist Ministries by visiting our website at www.cbmin.org


1 comment:

  1. Great job and another very informative blog. I was very encouraged by the stories.

    ReplyDelete