Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Overcoming Our Fears

Africa Brotherhood Church, Kaiani, Kenya

On Monday, Aaron and Patty Card travelled East of Nairobi into the hills of Ukambani to meet with the Guardians of Hope of Kaiani.

Ann Muteti a Guardian Hope

When Ann joined the Guardians of Hope, she never thought they would get this far. Along with her own four children, Ann cares for her younger brother and two HIV/AIDS orphans of her late sister. As Ann shared about her struggles, an incredible joy and humour continued to burst through.

"Before this group, I was not as hard working in my faith, I wasn't much of a home maker, or farmer, I couldn't take care of my own family," she laughs, "I don't now where I'd be! I was soooo pathetic. My husband was sick. My children were sick. My younger brother couldn't afford school. Even my house was unclean! But then the group of Guardians came from the church and they would not leave us. They stayed with me until my husband got better. The community health worker trained me on health and hygiene. We received two goats and got help starting a business." She starts to giggle. "And I got help with family planning and we looked much better off than before!" She continues to laugh. "I am so happy now. I am in control of my reproduction. I can care for the needs of my family. And now I get paid by the government to tell other people about HIV and AIDS. My life has changed because of the Guardians of Hope. I am so very happy with the support I have received!!!"

It was the free tea!

Josephine Mumo shared how the Guardian of Hope training on writing a business plan changed her life: "I had a business but it was losing money. I didn't understand how my work gave me nothing. Then I took the "business plan" training and I realized my problem. Everyday I use to give free tea and mandazi (donuts) to my friends who visited me. I realized that I was losing my business by giving away my profits. I didn't know why!"

Climbing a nearby hill
to visit a Guardian's home

Patty with members of the Kaiani
Guardians of Hope on our steep trek

Nervous Laughter

I (Aaron) am not a friend of birds... I have a mild phobia. Needless to say, it was with pure terror that I watch this young man crawl into his family chicken coop and pulled out a hysterical, red necked, wing flapping chicken. It was a gift for me. Despite my best efforts, I could not disguise my fear, much to the delight of the crowd of Guardians who exploded in laughter at my reaction. The gift of a chicken is a major sacrifice. With deep gratitude, we accepted the bird and then offered it back to the group. They will use it to support another vulnerable family in Kaiani, perhaps another woman like Ann, or Josephine, whose life will be changed because of these courageous women who live out their faith in simple and generous ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment